POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : LOTW-2 (4x~90k) : Re: LOTW-2 (4x~90k) Server Time
11 Aug 2024 03:34:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: LOTW-2 (4x~90k)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 1 Jul 2004 12:20:02
Message: <cc1deq$907$1@chho.imagico.de>
Thomas de Groot wrote:

> Like Marc, I am impressed by your rocks, Christoph! I am a professional
> geologist, but I would certainly be fooled by this. I have seen it in lots
> of places. Congratulations!
> Which brings me to a question: I am trying to model this kind of sedimentary
> or tectonic layers, and especially to control their angle of dip. This last
> I find frustratingly difficult. Apparently, you have mastered this. How did
> you do it?

Generating a directed structure in rocks is quite simple in principal,
you just have to non-unifomly scale the patterns you use for the surface
structure.  Of course getting this 'look right' is not so easy.  And
more complicated things like actual folding (i.e. a change of the
direction of the rock layers) is more difficult.

Christoph

Last updated 01 May. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______